Monday, August 2, 2010

Where have you gone "Joe DiMaggio"

Well, I'm not Joe DiMaggio but I have been M.I.A. from this blog for some time now. The reason is very simple and something that many of you have experienced or will experience in the future. "Burnout" Years ago, as a new administrator I observed many of my senior colleagues experience this phenomenon. Individuals who always had a smile and a joke to share were now moody and short tempered. Administrators who were always present at extra curricular events were now nowhere to be found after the regular school day. Their attendance began to suffer and their attitude changed markedly.

As a neophyte, I couldn't understand how this was possible. Now I know first hand what this experience is like. About 2 years ago I began to notice that my patience with my fellow educators and parents was waining. I would get annoyed at things that I'd hardly noticed in the past. My blood pressure which was already controlled by medication was getting higher and it took me more time to relax once I finally got home. I explained all of these symptoms to my doctor on a regularly scheduled visit and this very learned man offered a simple explanation and solution. He told me I needed "asshole medicine". After my look of surprise I asked for an explanation. He very calmly explained that day after day people with no training in our profession feel an obligation to tell use how to do our job. For many years we are able to deflect these comments but after awhile they take their toll. I was clearly experiencing this condition.

So, after dealing with this situation for the past 2 years, successfully at times, and not so much at others, I have decided that I will retire shortly. As I have told my friends and fellow educators I thought that 35 years of doing anything was enough and it was time for a big change in my life. But don't worry. For those few readers who have enjoyed this blog, I will continue to write articles as I have much to share. Some of which could not be written while I'm still employed.

For the first time since I began Kindergarten as a student, over 50 years ago, I will not arise on the first day of the new school year this fall, eager for the experience to begin all over again. Instead, I will arise at my regular wake up time, look at my alarm clock, and go back to sleep.
Here's wishing each of you an outstanding new school year!

No comments: