Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mind Numbing Meetings Must End

I just finished attending another mind numbing 2 hour administrative meeting. The purpose of this meeting was to summarize a series of other mind numbing meetings that were held during the course of this school year. This meeting was a huge success and also a colossal waste of time. We reviewed the decisions made at previous meetings and everyone congratulated everyone else for a wonderful collegial job. Before I knew it 2 hours had past and exactly what had I accomplished?

Everything that was discussed in this meeting could have been conveyed via e-mail or a written memo. How many times have you had to attend one of these administrative wastes of time when you could have been in your school working on the instructional program or dare I say it, interacting with students and staff!

I firmly believe that the only way that Central Office types can justify their existence is through these never-ending meetings. I don't know if they don't realize how much time we have to spend out of our school by virtue of these meetings or they just don't care. In my own case I have taken my objection to these meetings one step further. I have never subjected my teachers to unnecessary faculty meetings when I could accomplish the same task through memos. I realize that it is my right to hold these meetings and sometimes they are warranted but most of the time they aren't.

So if any of you Central Office types are listening, minimize the number of administrative meetings we have to attend and let us remain in our schools where we belong.

1 comment:

South University Virginia Beach said...

most of the time, whenever you are in a meeting consisting of so many people, it is hard to participate so you end up just listening and wasting time. if a meeting consisted of people from all parts of a state or a country, you're really better of using the internet. it saves gas, time, effort and what have you. time is gold. we should consider means that let us use our time more efficiently.